From:
Rip Bechmann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2005 10:02:18 -0400
Lloyd Spear writes;

>>>Three years ago I had a serious infestation .... found
two drawers ...  Hundreds in each drawer, and not in adjacent hives.<<<

What was the basis for your ID of SHB as apposed to numerous other
possible "stored products" types ?  Was this another SWAG?

>>> I could not find adults in the hives or the drawers.<<<

Not finding any in the other hives is not unusual but none in the
affected hives is interesting in light of the numbers of "immatures"
found and the fact that, in my experience, SHB tends to be an aggregation
breeder.  I should also mention that I have had problems getting
reproduction with out high moisture, not your typical pollen tray.  All
"sap beetles", and SHB is just one with a yen for honey, feed largely on
the yeasts, etc. associated with fermentation, hence all the "slop and
slime" you hear about.

Rip