Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2019 05:00:32 -0600
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (16 lines)
a David Evans snip followed by > my comment.. 
And yes ... the irony of considering the ethics of a small number of experimental bees with the 'suffering' of poorly-managed, mite- and virus-riddled colonies is striking.

>First I would suggest that almost without exception the bees purchased by a novice will suffer.  This is very much a part of the learning curve for the new beekeeper. Once the beekeeper establishes a STYLE that works for them both the bees and the beekeeper suffers less. Suffering much like introduced and noxious species is never exterminated. 

>Personally I am not smart enough or talented enough to tell folks exactly how to treat their bees. I have no clever way to divide up the population of potential beekeeper and determine who will and who will not make for a successful beekeeper.  Often (and imho) the measure of a person is one who fails and then picks themselves up and goes at it again until they succeed. Of course the down side is with failure some folks want to blame anyone besides themselves.... and therefore NOT reflect on how they could move forward and make themselves a better beekeeper.

>Comments like poorly managed and mite and virus riddled are almost always SPECULATIVE comments (and often time not much more than gossip).  Having said that I would say that in my own experience anyone that starts off with a few hives, bought cheaply or obtained via swarm catching, and then wants to go treatment free is not thinking very clearly. At the very least anyone that starts out should learn the basic process of monitoring for mites and if necessary 'treating the sick'.  I do think the evidence before me suggest blanket treatment MAY be as large a problem as not treating at all. < do you wish to pay now or pay later?

Gene in Central Texas...  

The BEE-L mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software.  For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2