Condense Mail Headers

From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 22:35:22 -0700
Hi Frank and Dennis and all:

I beleive Frank wrote:
My experience indicates that bees do draw different size
cells in different areas of the hive for different
purposes. The smallest cells are in the broodnest area.
Cells on the periphery are larger drone cells and honey
storage cells. That's why it's so difficult to get them to
draw one size cell consistently across a frame which can be

interchangeable used throughout the hive.

Reply:
This is true to a large degree. Namely that smallest cells
are in the broodnest and the combs near the periphery are
larger drone/honey storage cells somewhat. But actually
even in keeping this in mind, it IS NOT difficult to get
bees to draw one size consistently across a whole frame
which can be interchangeable and used throughout the whole
colony. Normally these are the workerbrood combs that are
drawn consistant in the very center of the broodnest.

Dennis then wrote:
I think the concept of a moveable, completely
interchangeable frame anywhere within the hive creates some
problems these problems. When a larger cell comb is placed
in the broodnest mites get out of control. When the smaller
cell is placed in the honey super the effects on the bees
are unknown but it can be more difficult to extract.

Reply:
Yes I agree that placement of enlarged combs into the
broodnest area enhances parasitic mite problems and
secondary diseases also.

I would also agree that smaller cells are more difficult to
extract.

However, I think that the effects on the bees using small
cell combs are positive for placement of these combs all
the way up through the honey supers, as this would be
similar to comb size placement found in wild colonies
hanging from trees on limbs, and more comparable to working
an unlimited broodnest type of beekeeping.

Dennis also wrote:
The difficulty in getting the bees to construct one size
cell indicates to me that more than cell size is important.
. . . Would the bees occupy an area of the hive in the
spring and raise larger bees there?

Reply:
Yes more then one size is important, but also so is
understanding the timing triggering their construction so
beekeepers know when to attempt to draw each with their
bees.

Would the bees occupy an area of the hive in the spring to
raise larger bees. Normally smallest combs and cells are
used first. This fact has been known since the early 1900s.
Then as the season progresses with the bees work they work
into the mode of making bigger combs as major honey flows
come on also signaling drone rearing time after sufficiant
workers have been produced.

Dennis further noted:
Some on BioBee have noted in discussion that not only do
feral hives comb structure vary vertically, but the comb
spacing often varies horizontally. Could a horizontal
dynamics be also possible?

Reply:
Yes, as spacing changes with size, besides breeding
parameters and diet through foraging changes.

Sincerely,

Dee A. Lusby