Date:
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 09:28:12 -0400
One of my mentees who is new to Beekeeping forgot to close up the gap where
the queen cell had been and the bees built a nice frame of wax, not on the
foundation. It has been very cold here during the first week after packages
were installed and the bees were fed 2:1 sugar syrup.

The drawn comb, only a week old, was so white it made cappings wax look
Grey. It was also more brittle than normally encountered loose wax cells
like burr comb, which are usually more yellow.

So what if pollen is incorporated to a small degree with the wax for
strength? I have no idea but I am sure Peter has something on that. And
what if cappings, which are always the white wax in the hive, are
intentionally not mixed with pollen so the bees have an easier time getting
past it?

As i said, that comb was brittle and was probably from pure sugar syrup.

Bill Truesdell
Bath, Maine