From:
Scott Jeffreys <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Dec 2002 21:35:25 EST
Hi Walker et al,

Blue Orchard and Orchard Mason are both Osmia lignaria and it is from the
family Megachilidae (honeybee - Apidae).  The alfalfa leaf cutter bee is also
a Megachilid. They are all "buzz pollinators"  - that is when they pollinate
by vibrating the ventral portion of their  body over the flower. The
Megachilidae carry their pollen on the underside of their abdomen and this
"buzz pollination" has been clearly documented to be more efficient than our
honey (- by the - barrel) counterparts.

This was the topic of our lecture today in the Beekeeping class, Fruit
Science 123 at Cal Poly State University, San Luis Obispo, CA, USA. We are
interested in all aspects of pollination and economic entomology.

Scott Jeffreys
Lecturer and Campus Beekeeper