From:
"Adrian M. Wenner" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Nov 2006 15:15:31 -0800
On Nov 17, 2006, at 6:41 AM, Dave Cushman wrote:

> Hi Peter
>
> > I think you are referring to the cases of "Anarchy" that were found,
>
> You are correct! I was confusing the two systems, which is remiss of
> me, particularly as I have attended many such lectures.
>
> The guys you quoted (Andrew Barron, Francis Ratnieks & Ben Oldroyd)
> were also involved in the thelytoky discussion that took place at the
> 3rd European Congress on Social Insects held in St. Petersburg, Russia
> 22-27 August 2005. I have looked quite thoroughly at the lecture
> program and cannot find the session involved, Anarchy and worker
> policing were also discussed.
>
> The following text came from that conference, but I cannot be certain
> that it was not in the context of Capensis...

    Some clarification.  I was at the St. Petersburg Congress (as
Keynote Speaker on odor use by honey bees during recruitment to food
sources) but have no recollection of discussions about thelytoky.
Barron and co-workers covered neurochemistry in honey bees that
"dance"; Oldroyd was co-author of a presentation on temperature (of bee
pupae), learning, and memory, Ratnieks was co-author of a presentation
on ant pheromones; Oldroyd was co-author of another presentation on
competition among queenless workers of Apis florea.

    For more information on that last item, one can type piyamas nanork
apis florea into google and proceed from there.

										Adrian