From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Mar 2010 08:02:08 -0500
Hello All,
A look into the future.
The push for stopping the Aussie import. Which worked for Canada beekeepers
for over two decades will further the cause of those working hard under WTO
rules to open the Mexican border to imports.

Opening the Mexican border will end the predicted shortage in 2011 & 2012.

Give almond growers a unlimited source of hives.

Almond pollination prices could drop 50%

package bee prices might go as low as $15-25 a package

queens from 90 cents to a few dollars.

WTO rules demand it as we have the same pests as Mexico.

We have as likely a risk ( in reality more) getting T. clarae off a
container from Asia in Miami as from Australia which does not get the ocean
containers we do.

Life is like a big chess game. In chess if you do not think ahead you will
hear the words "checkmate".

Off to move bees in the mud. Snow & cold Saturday. Strange Missouri weather.

bob

Ps. If you check the archives I have always spoke out against opening the
Mexican border but under WTO rules I can't see those wanting the border kept
closed being able to do so. Some very large beekeepers are forming ties and
investing in Mexican operations. Mexican beekeepers are attending ABF
conventions. I warned about the issue as early as 2004 when several
beekeepers started making plans. Telling of plans.

Perhaps some of those pushing to stop the Aussie import. Stopping the Aussie
import would benefit opening the Mexican border.

As with the organophosphates. If you close a door in an area it opens a door
in another. Those pushing systemic pesticides ( since the 1954 BC article i
referenced) saw a long awaited opening. People today seem willing to accept
a certain amount of pesticide in their food be it PPM or PPB without knowing
the long term effects. Washing will not remove the neonicotinoids as with
sprayed on pesticides..

The industry needs package bees in January as does Canada in April. Hawaii
could help but said no. Mexico is the likely source.