From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Feb 2007 10:08:09 EST
<Bob> said  to Jerry B .
<Research at Penn  State....    queen passes the virus on in her eggs and
every  bee which emerges
is infected>  Yes, and Bill Wilson thought  disappearing disease may have
been from a genetic defect (i.e., queen related -  maybe it wasn't a defect but a
queen transferred virus? Just a  guess.)

<Also when looking at CCD you first need to eliminate the  common everyday
problems> (that's why we need beekeepers to fill out our  survey at
_www.beesurvey.com_ (http://www.beesurvey.com) ).  With  multiple variables, we need to
know what those affected have been doing And  EQUALLY important, hear from
some who have never experienced CCD -- and I mean  relatively large scale, long
term beekeepers.  If you've only had bees two  years and have 1 hive, your
information isn't going to help tell us what might  work to stop this thing.

<Not possible in most cases as your tests are  showing tracheal and varroa
mites>  This is not correct, only  tracheal was in recoverying bees, and yes,
viruses were found - but not at  level normally considered to be above
background.  Only a few of the field  cases (looking in hives in all of the state's
we've visited) have revealed much,  if any deformed wings, etc.

<Many cases EFB & AFB. In most cases around three viruses  present.>  This
statement is out of context.  Viruses were  present in samples taken just after
first collapse - but not at high  levels.  EFB only showed up weeks later, on
collapsed equipment.  David Westervelt and I did not see EFB  or AFB in Fl or
CA in recently collapsed colonies.  David and Jeff  both reported that EFB
showed up later in FL -- probably  because the  remnant bee population couldn't
keep up the brood nest with lots of chilled off  brood.  Initial results did
show a fungus in the guts of many bees -  remains to be seen whether this
happens in ALL cases for many different  states.  And the new Nosema was in one
hive in FL, but also found in TN -  and Jeff has other information about this
across the U.S., but it may/may  not be correlated with the cases of CCD seen.  I
doubt that its the cause,  another of the its there, but not the smoking gun.

<In most cases comb contamination from past varroa miticide  use.>  Well,
many beekeepers were using all kinds of chemicals, often  illegal, often more
than one at a time.  PA has found traces of one  chemical that they were looking
for - in one set of samples, but it was a crop  applied chemical.  To my
knowledge, the results from all sites and from the  rest of the team aren't in - I
know my chemists are still working on samples,  haven't verified initial
results, so we haven't said this.

That said, common sense dictates that using off label chemicals and
unspecified dosages and other things we saw ARE NOT GOOD and are likely to end  up
with contaminants in comb.  In fact, I'm surprised that some beekeepers  didn't
kill their bees outright when throwing multiple chemicals in a hive, all  at
the same time.  But, right next to them were beekeepers who DID NOT do  this,
and I've got an organic beekeeper who experienced this on new comb.

<To top things off several weather related problems could cause CCD like
symptoms.>

Our surveys go into a database linked to Google Earth AND to weather  data.
We've seen some interesting correlations for specific locations like  those in
Florida.  Again, on a national level, we need beekeeper  input.  Weather per
se is not likely to cause CCD symptoms, but it may  trigger something else,
just like all of the other stressors mentioned above,  and other stresses like
trucking bees, poor nutrition, etc.

<Also beekeeper neglect .  >

Some of the worst cases were not stunning examples of good beekeeping - but
other beekeepers who were doing a good job also had the  disorder.

<AND lets not forget off spec fructose, pesticides and  pollen contamination.>

Our chem analysis should answer the off spec fructose question, and we and
the rest of the team has asked for additional funding to address a wide
spectrum look at pesticides and pollen contamination.  NHB made the first
contribution, and it went to PA for their virus work and to send Dennis and Dave  to CA.

I've a freezer full of samples.  And, my company and the Army has  already
spent more than $20k just getting out there to look at CCD and collect  samples
- we (my team) has been in PA, GA, FL, and three weeks in CA.

If anyone wants to donate to a war chest to pay for some of these tests --
PAms has agreed to serve as the banker for the CCD and to not charge for  any
account service)  Chris Heintz says
Please send  contributions to:
Project  Apis m.
1750  Dayton Rd.
Chico, CA  95928
Have  the contributor put “CCD” in the memo line.

<he sad problem ...without taking  positive steps to correct the problem you
are
going to see the same thing  next fall>.  I agree, but we don't know the real
source of the problem,  so we can't suggest corrective action, other than be
better beekeeper - which  MAY NOT solve the problem.

My one specific recommendation, don't combine affected colonies or add
packages to them - this thing looks likes its communicable.

<Tossing in another package this spring may not be the correct  move>.
That's been tried, worked in some case for the short term, but  did not work in
others -- whole yards were lost when 'healthy' bees were added  to affected
colonies.  Similarly, bringing affected bees into yards of  apparently healthy bees
often resulted in all of the colonies being affected,  failing.

As per what someone did/did not say -- the CCD  is still trying to get a fix
on the nature of the problem.  Lots of  guesses, and I have my own, but I've
also changed opinion since I've seen so  many cases in so many areas.  As per
my own smarts - haven't solved  this yet.  Funny, the CSI teams on TV do this
in an hour.

Jerry