Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Tue, 1 May 2007 13:53:35 GMT
From:
Sender:
>>Bumper crops are made not just because of using 3 deeps. Using 3
deeps with a punky queen will never lead to bumper crops.

I was reading Walt Wright's articles (www.knology.net/~k4vb/all%
20walt%20articles.htm) suggested by folks here.  [I am trying this
for myself this year.]  He used 3-deeps to raise and hold lots of
bees, without inducing swarming due to congestion, PRIOR to supering
at the start of the honey flow.  When supers went on at the start of
the honey flow, the many foragers would right away fill the super
above the broodnest without congesting the broodnest.

The reported honey yields were much greater than from conventional
set-ups.  I find the concept very interesting and I am looking
forward to my results.

>>It all comes down to the same thing as keeping bees in 2
deeps...1/3 management, 1/3 genetics, and 1/3 location. All must be
good to produce your bumper crop.

I would add weather to this list.  Last year it was cold and wet
during the black locust bloom by me and I got very little locust
honey.

>>I don't know about checkerboarding. Never did it, probably never
will. Good management, and proper supering will solve most of your
swarming problems.

The primary goal of checkerboarding is to increase the brood area
[and consequently the number of foragers].  Inserting empty comb in
between frames of brood during the spring expansion phase, will make
the colony develop at a much faster rate.  I've proven this to myself
several years ago.  The checkerboarded hives were boiling with bees
compared to the ones left alone.

Waldemar