From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Feb 2019 10:33:59 -0800
Thanks for the quotations, Pete--there are a number of other related
studies that I've deeply assessed..  The problem is, that researchers are
parroting conclusions based upon circumstantial evidence.  Pete, please let
us know if you can find a single study, other than that by Campbell 2016,
that has clearly identified DWV reproduction in any *mite body tissue*, as
opposed to mite whole-body extracts that presumably included DWV-laden bee
fat bodies in the mites' gastric caecae (write me off list if you wish, as
I could likely save you some time).

> >Even though the quoted paper clearly states that DWV is able to replicate
> in varroa?

Yes!  Just because someone says something, doesn't necessarily mean that
it's true.  The issue appears to me to be due to technique and
misinterpretation, similar as to how Lee Solter put the lie to all the
papers that had claimed that *Nosema ceranae* was reproducing in all sorts
of bee body tissues.  Similar to how it's continually parroted that nosema
causes dysentery, or that pollen needs to be fermented into beebread to be
of nutritional value to the bees.

I've discussed this "DWV replication in varroa"  with several researchers
at the cutting edge of this.  There is strong debate, as there always is
when someone stands to be embarrassed by something that they've written in
a scientific paper.

> >Is there any truth in the theory that much of the problem is that varroa
> effectively injects the virus into the haemolymph of the larvae whereas
> they would not normally encounter it in this way.  I am thinking that there
> are things that we could eat with few ill effects, but injecting the same
> substances into our bloodstream would be an entirely different matter.

Absolutely correct!  Plus there are then the associated problems of the
loss of haemolymph and fat bodies, the digestive destruction of additional
fat bodies, plus the bacterial infection that then occurs at the feeding
wound (see Kanbar or Ramsey's papers).

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA