From:
Gene Ash <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Oct 2019 04:55:37 -0500
a Janet L. Wilson snip followed by > a comment and a question...

1. Is there now a confirmation of the action by which oxalic acid acts as a miticide?

2. At what rate can one expect OAV to kill brood, and if it kills brood, of what age(s)?

3. Is the queen's health or fertility affected by OAV?

>A great set of preliminary question.  I have no solid answer to any but I do think #3 in regards to the use of the short list of 'harsh chemical' (as far as I know all approved on an emergency bases) seems to be a concern < current and future published research by Phd students at the Texas A&M lead me to this accessment  Evidently Randy Oliver has also pointed out a similar problem with thymol that I had not previously understood or considered <it perhaps should be pointed out that thymol shows up in wax samples at fairly high levels (Honeybee Health Initiative data) .  These negative effective also appear to be time lagged which really means you use the product now and you may not see full impact to the hive's health for another year.

>Often times I worry as much about old beekeepers (ie myself) as I do the bees. Recently I have been playing around with Formic Acid and wonder if anyone knows a way to avoid the very irritating fumes when you apply formic pads?

Gene in Central Texas...