From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 09:56:05 +0100
Hi George

> but the researchers and scientists seem in agreement
> on the 20% figure.  This suggests using 4 frames of drone
> foundation out of 20 brood frames to
> meet this 20% figure.  I am suggesting using only 1 or 2
>frames out of 20 brood box frames,
> because I don't want to "waste my queen's energy and time"
> producing drones rather than needed workers

I have always been puzzled by this attitude... Most accept that "the bees
know best" and that "bees do nothing invariably" but for 120 years
beekeepers have been concerned that the bees raise, what beekeepers consider
as "too many drones".

Far from using more "in hive" resources than they deserve, and "wasting the
queen's time" and egg laying capacity, their presence helps morale and
allows the workers to go out foraging, as the drones conserve heat and help
regulate brood temperature. (admitted, that this is more use in a cold wet
climate like the UK)

I have often run very high levels of drones in a few colonies (50%-60%) for
increased local saturation. But even at this level some surplus honey is
still produced.

I suggest leaving the bees to raise as many drones they think is "right" and
I would guess that large scale comparisons of colonies with "limited drones"
and "free range" colonies would actually show higher annual honey yields in
"bee limited drone" colonies.

My reason for saying this is that (I believe) the egg laying rate is stepped
up in the "happier" colonies and that even with the drones present there are
more workers in such "happy" colonies.

I have no proof or actual experimental data but my observations are based on
more than twenty years experiance of colonies with high numbers of drones.

As a rider to the above... I think that some research should be done into
the pollen collection rates of colonies with and without drones as it seems
to me that more pollen is brought in by those colonies that have more drones
and that at least gives the potential for more workers.

If drone brood trapping is your aim then it may be wise to temporarily limit
the drone laying capacity to two frames (or even one) so that the varroa are
"concentrated" in the drone brood that you are going to destroy.

Regards From:- Dave Cushman, G8MZY
Beekeeping and Bee Breeding, http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman