From:
Blane White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2001 09:04:42 -0500
Hi Everyone.
The bottom line of this issue to me is quite simple.  Research in Europe has shown that the varroa mite population of a colony in the late summer and fall is reduced by about a half by removal of 1 to 3 combs of drone brood in spring and early summer.  This significant reduction in varroa population is obtained in a fairly short time and still allows the colony to raise as many drones as it "wants" after the mite trapping period.  Most colonies also raise drones in other areas besides the trapping combs so they always have drones.  The reduction in varroa mite population due to drone brood removal also allows the colony to raise a greater proportion of healthy drones that have not been damaged by varroa mites during the capped brood stage.  My observations during drone brood removal for varroa management did not indicate a large negative impact on the colonies.  But the varroa population is considerably reduced.

FWIW

blane

Blane White
MN Dept of Agriculture