From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Apr 2000 21:33:17 -0400
Over the last 40+ beekeeping years i have entered into to many debates with
my fellow beekeepers. In the early years i lost most the debates with the
"old timers". With each decade i did better. When i started to debate
beekeeping questions with researchers i had to learn the above. To write
beekeeping articles i had to learn those three rules.

Opinion: Gives me the most freedom. Beekeepers say i keep bees different
than any person they ever met. I say "there are many ways to keep bees and
all work to different degrees". We can agree to disagree.

experience: Its amazing to me when in a room full of beekeepers how quiet it
gets when a beekeepers actual experiences are talked about. OK! I get quiet
also as those are the things not usually in the books. I have learned more
beekeeping secrets by listening than talking.

quote: I like to use quotes but allways try to quote the book and even the
page number plus author if possible. I have wrote many beekeeping articles
over the years and haven't had a quote problem yet. I like to quote from
"The Hive and the Honey bee". If i only had one beekeeping book i would want
the hive and the honey bee. With over 30 authors i feel the book is safe to
quote from and most beekeepers can look up the information for themselves if
they think you are incorrect. Its the ideal book to resolve many beekeeping
disputes. Ask every beekeeper in a room the same question and see how many
different answers you get but they all work to the same end.

Happy beekeeping!
Bob Harrison U.S.A.