From:
Andy Nachbaur <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Jan 1998 13:42:34 -0800
At 05:52 PM 1/29/98 -0600, you wrote:
Paul from OK said:
>Today I checked all 15 hives today and was very surprised to find all are
>doing fine.  This is the first winter since I started using only FGMO to
>treat my bees for mites. I usually have 1 or 2 hives by this time that
>havent made it. This is not a scientific study just my own observation.
>Looks like all 15 hives will make it in very good shape with plenty of
>stores left.

Sounds like you are having a good winter in your area.

BTW, what are your observations on the environmental conditions this winter
compared to others?

Here in Central California away from the left coast we are having our old
time wet, foggy green season, but it has been about 10 degrees above
normal. Its a little early to say how the bees are going to turn out but I
have not heard of any large scale losses. Since it is mostly not cold
enough the bees do not cluster as tight as other places, or other colder
years, and they do look stronger at first glance then when they are
clustered. Few flowers are out yet in the valley but most all hives do have
some patches of brood. Almond buds are showing some growth activity.

The south coast and central coast areas that do not have the winter fogs
and are normally a month ahead of the valley are reporting good conditions
with both commercial and hobby beekeepers finding the need to add extra
brood supers earlier then normal. Many southern California beekeepers
winter their better hives in the valley and only take their din's or weak
hives to southern California. In many years by almond bloom these hives
will be in better shape then the one's wintered in the valley having time
to brood up and increase their populations. They also will be the first
one's to swarm in the almonds, or if the weather goes bad will be the first
one's to need feeding to survive. By the end of the almond bloom all the
bees will be the same until the next flow.

ttul, the OLd Drone

* Yes Officer, you pulled me over because you want my bee what?
California legislature has considered laws forcing beekeepers to carry bee
ID papers.
One county does require bee trucks to be identified with signs. The
California Highway Petrol
would like all bee trucks netted. All of the above have been prevented by
political action by beekeepers.

(c)Permission is given to copy this document
in any form, or to print for any use.

(w)OPINIONS are not necessarily facts. USE  AT OWN RISK!