Rimantas Zujus <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Discussion of Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 14 Feb 1998 20:10:39 +0200
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (1910 bytes) , application/ms-tnef (2718 bytes)
Dear Robert

Reacently I've read that 50 % of V mites hatcing of a comb cell fall down on the bottom of the hive. Later they climb a bee or a cell. All you need is a some kind of flat box. It consists of a  sheet of paper on the bottom coverred with any glue ( for e.g. the same oil ) and a net is a little bit higher ( apr 1 cm ). Your bees can't touch the seased mites and help them. I saw the tin-plate boxes.

If you irritate your bees with the same garlic oil or something like it your yield will be higher.

Best regards

Rimantas Zujus
Kaunas
LITHUANIA

e-mail : [log in to unmask]
http://www.online.lt/indexs.htm
Latitude    55 Deg North
Longitude 24 Deg East

----------
Sent:   Wednesday, February 11, 1998 7:34 PM
To:     [log in to unmask]
Subject:        mites

Hi all, been reading about different ways to treat the mites. My partner has been using Tea Tree and Wintergreen oils in canola oil applied to ordinary paper towel rite above the brood and we use blue shop papertowel taped to a strip of tile put at the entrance of the hive.It will be two years in May. We have noticed on the  owels alot of dead mites, we also have seen evidence of mites in the brood  ection, but not on the bees themselves.
We also have tried garlic oil it kills the mites too. We work both with Italian and African hybrids,with same results. This spring we''re going to use smaller comb size(4.9cm.) it has been tested for the control of the mites here in Tucson, Az..
IMHO I believe we should get ahead of the this year. Well at least we have a fighting chance at them.
        May the Good Lord Bless and Multiply you Bees

BoB

ATOM RSS1 RSS2