From:
WILLIAM G LORD <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 1996 16:44:15 -0400
To continue the thread, I agree about using caution on old frames that
may harbor AFB, but, I depend on trees for my honey, and being a
conservationist at heart I can't see tossing all old frames.  Most of my
old frames are generated by blow-outs that the wax moths beat me to.
Most of these blow-outs can be attributed to queen failure, and I monitor
my operation closely for disease and I do not tolerate any AFB symptoms.
So I build up a supply of old frames and every couple of years have a big
boil-up in the winter followed by a scrape-out and then a refitting of
foundation.  I just finished rehabbing about 100 deeps worth of old frames
and they look good and are on the bees as we speak waiting to be drawn
out.

I have calculated the cost of reuse versus new and the reuse comes out
ahead by about 40 percent, and I feel a lot better about the tree situation.

The status report on north central North Carolina is cautious optimism.
I had very low overwintering losses and the bees look pretty good
considering the cold spring we have had.  I have found a few swarm cells
and expect the main honey flow to start in 10 days.  There is very strong
demand for hives for cucumber pollination in these parts, in fact, supply
does not meet demand.

Bill Lord
Louisburg, NC

--