Date:
Tue, 1 Dec 2015 14:43:20 -0500

[log in to unmask] writes:

In his  opinion, we should not be taking honey that the bees might need for
 themselves. And if they cannot produce enough to support themselves, then
to  supplement them with artificial feed is to select for inferior  bees.

I concur with that view.  It is very rarely that I feed my bees,  certainly
not every colony and not every year.  If I do feed, I add blue  food dye to
the syrup so that I can see where it end up as I don't want to  eat/sell
partly recycled sugar disguised as honey.  It is rare indeed that  I lose a
colony to starvation and then mostly it's isolation starvation with  ample
stores only a couple of combs away from the cluster.

Besides the standard National (UK) hives, I also run a few top bar hives
and take my harvest from them in the spring at willow/dandelion flowering
time  so I can be sure that what I take is truly surplus to their requirements.

Chris