From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Jun 2008 11:13:10 -0700

> >And yes, I was speculating that the spraying of alarm pheromone *might* be
> associated with the release of some venom.

From experience in collecting bald faced hornets, I can attest that they can
fill the air with a fog of venom.  Makes your eyes burn and water, and your
lungs burn.  Only a fool in a bee suit would remain in the area!

I've heard that some yellowjacket species can do the same.

I've never experienced it with honey bees.  Have smelled alarm pheromone
strongly, but never experienced venom in the air or squirted through the
veil.

Randy Oliver