From:
Dee Lusby <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 2008 21:11:10 -0700
Jim:
Let's be clear here.  The headline claim, that "propolis"
had some sort of effect on AFB, was clearly untrue.
Propolis had to be "extracted", concentrated, and purified.

Reply:
You know, I agree with you here concerning this research effort. But being me, would like to add: When I and Ed used propolis in place of terrimycin '93-96 until we shook down for second regression from 5.0mm-5.1mm to 4.9mm top tolerance..........

Note: I simply took propolis from insides of topbars, endbars, and boxes......AS IS but simply smelled of propolis and not plain wax. I froze it, and simply ground it in a hand coffee mill into powder and mixed into granulated honey and put over clusters/broodnests needing help after I pulled the concentration of AFB leaving bees and any combs with 6 cells of AFB or less still there...............Nothing hard, propolis simply scraped with probably normal beeswax in it but smelled like propolis like most beekeepers collect and didn't even wash it for the bees in hives. I simply frooze it and ground it. So I don't see the propolis as purified here, though I am an organic beekeeper with no dopes in hive having phased out even terrimycin long ago and hence why we were doing this!

Dee A. Lusby (also cheap, not wanting to buy TM)