Reply To:
Informed Discussion of Beekeeping Issues and Bee Biology <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 14:13:55 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (35 lines)
This months May 2007 Bee Culture issue in Steve Sheppard's columm page 21 makes a compelling 
argument that Australian imports have never had any Tracheal exposure and having them installed 
in almonds near the major Cailfornia queen breeding areas could create a new round of tracheal 
susceptibility in the USA if their drones mate with CA queens being shipped later aroudn the 
country. 

My way of thinking is close the border, the almond people should have had a plan for pollination 
rather then a hope and a prayer. 

Its this kind of Big Ag thinking that screws up American agriculture. We make desicions that 
benefit a few and hurt others in unrelated areas of agriculture. Stationary beekeepers like myself 
in the Midwest  and other regions already get the junk thats hauled back from CA and now maybe 
other issues with Aussie bees.  I feel for our CA keepers too who are affected in a different way. 

This is a Factory Farm kind of issue IMO. Huge mono-crops of almonds should be seen as a 
menace to American agriculture not some glory filled success story. We may see some big profits 
in CA almond growers for a few years until the markets glutted with over supply or China imports 
of almonds increase. Then the bottom could fall out and we're all left cleaning up the gold rush 
mess. What then is accomplished?  we import Assuie bees for what...a short term gain? 

We need some long term thinkers to put a plan in place for US honeybees that is not overly 
influenced by Big Ag needs and stick with it and I am talking the use of systemics like Imdacloprid 
too. At least those with pollination or insecticide needs could be forewarned of the risks.  Healthy 
Honey Bees should come first!!!! not as an after thought!

We live in a time period of history where just because something is technically possible does not 
mean its implemantion is in the best long term interest of American or global interests. I thnk the 
EU and Canada is ahead of the curve in that regard to policy making.  Money still talks here in the 
USA.  

* Full guidelines for BEE-L posting are at:          *
* http://www.honeybeeworld.com/bee-l/guidelines.htm  *

ATOM RSS1 RSS2