From:
Brian Fredericksen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 May 2007 14:13:55 -0400
This months May 2007 Bee Culture issue in Steve Sheppard's columm page 21 makes a compelling
argument that Australian imports have never had any Tracheal exposure and having them installed
in almonds near the major Cailfornia queen breeding areas could create a new round of tracheal
susceptibility in the USA if their drones mate with CA queens being shipped later aroudn the
country.

My way of thinking is close the border, the almond people should have had a plan for pollination
rather then a hope and a prayer.

Its this kind of Big Ag thinking that screws up American agriculture. We make desicions that
benefit a few and hurt others in unrelated areas of agriculture. Stationary beekeepers like myself
in the Midwest  and other regions already get the junk thats hauled back from CA and now maybe
other issues with Aussie bees.  I feel for our CA keepers too who are affected in a different way.

This is a Factory Farm kind of issue IMO. Huge mono-crops of almonds should be seen as a
menace to American agriculture not some glory filled success story. We may see some big profits
in CA almond growers for a few years until the markets glutted with over supply or China imports
of almonds increase. Then the bottom could fall out and we're all left cleaning up the gold rush
mess. What then is accomplished?  we import Assuie bees for what...a short term gain?

We need some long term thinkers to put a plan in place for US honeybees that is not overly
influenced by Big Ag needs and stick with it and I am talking the use of systemics like Imdacloprid
too. At least those with pollination or insecticide needs could be forewarned of the risks.  Healthy
Honey Bees should come first!!!! not as an after thought!

We live in a time period of history where just because something is technically possible does not
mean its implemantion is in the best long term interest of American or global interests. I thnk the
EU and Canada is ahead of the curve in that regard to policy making.  Money still talks here in the
USA.