From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Feb 2006 08:31:01 -0700
Tim said

If someone really wants to make a difference, then invent something that's
theft proof.

We can't make a hive theft proof, but we can make it hard to steal, easier
to find.  As a sideline to our bees/laser/landmine detection, we've had to
develop systems to secure the hives that we use.  In response to requests
from commercial beekeepers, we've recently made these available to the
beekeeping industry.

We can offer three products for immediate use, and will have one more in
about 6 weeks.  These products range from inexpensive (< 40 cents)
radio-frequency tags that can be hidden in wood or plastic to 'invisibly'
mark equipment, to a <$50 tracker (about $1/hive over the 7 year life of
the tag) for marking/tracking pallets, to full satellite/GPS coverage (~
$700).  All prices depend on number of tags/systems required.  We get
volume discounts.

The cheap tags have a read range of a few feet, the trackers a range of
several hundred ft to as far as 1/2 mile from a plane, the satellite -
virtually unlimited range.

In a few weeks, we will have a Sentry system that can monitor all of the
hives in a beeyard or stockpile yard (all hives within 700 ft radius and
marked with the tracker).  If any hive moves, a cell phone call will be
initiated.

We can send a flyer to anyone interested.  We suggest that you call us and
describe your needs.  We'll try to match up the best system for your
specific application.

The satellite system is a bit pricey, but it could monitor bee yards: gates
open/closed, electric fence on/off, bear trap open/closed,  etc.  It can
also be used to monitor bee trucks -- load movement, engine on/off,  hive
temperature, etc.

Thanks

Jerry

Bee Alert Technology, Inc.