From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:09:07 -0800
>Our researchers told us years ago that when a varroa
tolerant bee was made
>available ( like over five years ago  with the
Russian, hygienic and SMR
>stock) that many beekeepers would start claiming
success for snake oil
>treatments instead of giving the real reason credit.

I’m staying out of this!
I am not doubting you, but the other experts quoted
below do not support the researchers clame that they
should get the credit.
These are quotes from others.
Ask the source's below if you have any questions.

Going back “like over five years ago”

-------->
Here’s a quote from the bee lab in Tucson lab that
stated they were seeing resistance in the ferals as
far back as 7 YEARS AGO!  Now these are scientists
mind you, and it does not support what your
researchers are saying (possibly up to 2 years later)
as to where the REAL CREDIT should go!

Oct 6, 1998
“Concurrent data obtained from a study of feral
colonies in Arizona also show a change toward
varroa-tolerance.”
http://gears.tucson.ars.ag.gov/rf/abj/tolerant.html

-------->
Here’s a quote that states it is essential to find
feral strains resistant to varroa for uce in domestic
beekeeping.  They make NO mention of looking at
domestic breeds.
Quote from Entomologists from Texas A&M

Dec, 28, 1998
“Finding genetic strains of wild or "feral" honeybees
that are resistant to the varroa mite is essential to
the raising and care of bees for commercial or
agricultural purposes. While the mite has nearly wiped
out feral colonies, it is also decimating domesticated
hives”
http://agnews.tamu.edu/dailynews/stories/ENTO/Dec2898a.htm

-------->
Here’s a study that showed a 'domestic breed' DID NOT
stand up against the 'wild bee breed'.  No fancy
traits here, just 'wild breed' against 'domestic
breed'.  If the researchers SMR breeds are saving the
ferals as you say.  Then why aren’t they saving the
domestic breeds also?  This nullifies the claim that
Science is saving the ferals.

“Although we found fewer feral swarms than
anticipated, we collected six feral swarms and
maintained them at the Staley Farm. As of January 26
five of these colonies were still alive, even though
they had not been treated for mites. In contrast, all
five colonies of Italian honey bees (the most common
line in the U.S.) held under similar conditions were
dead.”
http://www.agr.state.il.us/C2000/fy98/98-11.html

-------->
Here’s one by the Purvis Brothers that states ferals
may be surviving due to ‘natural resistance’,  no
mention of SMR here either.

“As we all know the wild bees are few and far between.
The ones that are surviving may simply be surviving
because of natural resistance or maybe the pest load
is too low to completely overcome these colonies.”
http://www.purvisbrothersbees.com/purvisbrothers/philosophy/

Joe Waggle ~ Derry, PA
Small Cell Beekeeping
‘Bees Gone Wild Apiaries'