From:
Peter Dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Mar 2005 22:45:48 -0600
Jerry,

You wondered why this piece of equipment is used, when its "raison d'etre" is clearly unfixed.

You wrote:
"I realize that there are different dynamics in different climates --
excluder users generally

a) want to shut down the queen, keep population size smaller post-nectar
flow, and/or
b) don't want brood in the honey boxes (reason many commercial folks use them).

My problem, how much of this is beekeeper lore or convenience, how much
based on real knowledge?"

To my mind you have suggested answers to your own questions.

Beekeepers wish to shut down queens and brood production. Some do it not realising the consequences, other will do so
after accommodating for the pros and cons. In some circumstances (climatic, environment, management) there is little/ no
perceived effect.

In my case, the main reason for QE placement: it is quasi impossible to search for a queen that may be in one of seven
boxes. Try abandonment with brood distributed throughout the honey super pile!
I need to know that she is in the bottom two boxes.

The search for better management and honey harvest levels is more than interesting. Observations take place and where
possible applications generated.
But, application of technique must fit in with operational "fitness".

Queen excluders allow a general increase in my productivity. They may hinder in some others.

By not using them, I may be able to increase production - but at what cost?
Economic rent rears its head.

If I had hours to watch individual colonies, manipulate each to its potential, some may have an excluder, others not.

I have not got that luxury.

So, I generalise; Things that appear to work get applied until a "force majeur" arrives or some bright individual
indicates from having applied his/her time to academic study that I may do better with ......... .
This latter situation, as you will possibly agree, needs plenty of solid evidence to back it up.

Queen excluders do good, cause problems and the rest.

As your mail suggests, agreed opinion is lacking due to when having one in the hand, a QE that is, most other
considerations are near enough random.

This has lead to the diverse opinions held on this piece of equipment. IMHO!

Regards,
Peter