From:
Dave Cushman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 5 Mar 2005 11:10:25 -0000
Hi All

Murray mentions...

> but I think you would be hard pressed to find centre placed ones
> made much after 1970, if even so recent, as I cannot date any we
> have to later than 1960. This is a pattern normally called a Waldron,
> and the support for the excluder wires lies vertically and it was
> necessary to centre the excluder in the frame to allow the wire to
> have enough room in the bee space between the boxes. They were
> superceded almost immediately the somewhat superior Hertzog
> grids became available.

I can't firm up the dates mentioned by Murray, but they seem about right to
me, the only excluders that I have seen recently with half and half bee
space were made in New Zealand.

The Framed Herzog excluders stand out for ease of colony manipulation and
speed of apiary work.

I have also used Herzog grids that were unframed and the full size of the
hive top. The grid specification was exactly the same, but they attracted
more wax than the wood framed ones, so I cut them up for use on nucs and
making gadgets.

The only perforated sheet ones that I used were framed and had a central
frame strip that allowed placement over a pair of five frame nucs.

Looking at them from an economic point of view I would say the framed Herzog
excluder comes out best, it is not the cheapest to purchase, but the
efficiency savings in speed of use, more than repay the extra price. They
are also about the most difficult to damage as the wires are high quality
stiff material.

Regards & Best 73s, Dave Cushman, G8MZY
http://website.lineone.net/~dave.cushman or http://www.dave-cushman.net
Fall Back M/c, Build 5.02 (stable)