From:
peter dillon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Feb 2001 13:32:53 +0000
I joined this group some while back now - and it was due to the subject matter being discussed at a
level that educated, informed and often provoked comment. This was (and is still) due to the
contributions made by individuals such as Allen.
I thank you for your efforts given to this list.

One major regret is that we didn't manage to meet during my recent "voyage" to Canada!

Relating to future Commercial beekeeping - here in France, there is now a great problem in finding
young individuals to follow in the footsteps of "retreating characters".

Such individuals are needed to give the industry a presence before the general public and the
authorities.

As they become fewer in number the pressure to protect the honey bee gradually increases.

I suppose it is for the "younger" individuals to pick up the reins and take responsibility.
The problem is that to do so requires funds and time - both being in short supply.

Any individual, at least here in France showing willing is often snowed under with demands,
meetings, confrontation and argument - to the total detriment of their enterprise. Result - few to
carry the load. This has knock on effects.  If research bodies exist primarily to serve the industry
(a point often forgotten)  and that industry is in poor shape - then so will be these supporting
organisations.
This then reflects upon the image of beekeepers in general. One resulting effect is then again a
lower attraction to beekeeping as viewed by potential "activists". It becomes an old persons "game".
It is because it is then viewed as a pastime or at best a non serious activity that generates the
problems.

YUK!!