From:
"David L. Green" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Feb 2001 22:25:56 EST
Wow!

     I just picked up the amazing news that Allen Dick is retiring.  It's
kinda like a major icon of the beekeeping world is shattered.  I sure hope,
Allen, that you keep a hand in beekeeping, and do lots of writing to share
the wisdom you have accumulated.  My time has gotten so limited that I cannot
read all the posts on Bee List and other forums, but it would be rare for me
to skip any post with your address on it.

     Coincidentally, I have also sold my pollination business. So I am facing
major changes. I can't quite call it retirement. Janice says she'll be
willing to keep me as a pet, but won't feed me. I hope to do some writing and
photography myself.

    A number of beekeepers have quit lately, because they just can't see any
future in it. So far, there are enough folks a little younger, and a little
more optimistic, that can take up the slack, but I don't see that lasting
very long. There are very few beekeepers in their twenties and thirties. Who
will pollinate the next generation's crops?

    Allen, if you didn't do another thing related to beekeeping, you have
still made a major contribution and impact in the beekeeping world. But I
hope you are able to continue contributing for many more years.  Best of all
possible wishes to you, Allen.

Dave Green    SC  USA
The Pollination Home Page:  http://pollinator.com