From:
T'N'T Apiaries <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 07:33:01 -0700
>It irks me that we label honey as #1 white #2 light golden etc and
>understood by the public is that white is better than any other.

Here in Canada our system is somewhat better than what you describe
whereever you are Peter.  The system however is still not well understood by
the public. The number and colour provide two different pieces of
information.  You can have #1 Dark.   What is not understood by the public
is the suttle differences between the #s 1,2,&3 and what pasturization
"really" means with respect to honey.

In Prepackaged Honey we are allowed White, Golden, Amber, & Dark.  In Bulk
containers,  White can be broken into Extra White or White and Amber is
broken into Light Amber and Dark Amber.

The Number or "Grade" refers to the levels of moisture, foreign material,
texture and any off flavour.
Canada #1 having the most stringent  regs and Canada #3 the least.

David Tharle
Ardmore, AB