Mary Renard <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 5 Jan 1999 08:09:49 -0500
Jan, Joy's comments on your baby who's not gaining while peeing and pooping
remind me of my own experience (i.e., this is *anecdotal*!).  My third baby
was like this to an extent;  OK output but no gain - at 4 wks she was at
birthweight.  The culprit:  allergies.  Within a week of cutting out dairy
and citrus, she was gaining.  I will add that although I thought her output
was OK prior to my diet change, it was substantially *better* following the
change.  The # of wet diapers probably doubled, and the poopy diapers were
much more impressive.

However, there's an important component to my experience, and that is that
my daughter was horribly fussy.  It seems that the food sensitivities were
causing her to nurse poorly - squirming, fussing, wiggling.  After she felt
better, she nursed much better, more smoothly, for more than 30 seconds at
a time!  And my milk supply was noticeably more plentiful once her nursing
behavior changed for the better.

So I offer this tale knowing that it may not be applicable to your
situation - just FWIW.

Mary Renard, RN, BSN, IBCLC
Lactnet lurker during semester break
former IBLCE staff member