From:
Anne Stringer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:43:05 -0500
Trish,
I'm not a neonatologist, but am an NICU nurse, and would like to comment.
As has been discussed, breastmilk has been shown to offer some
protection from NEC (necrotizing enterocolitis) in premature infants.
However, once some signs of NEC show up, like distension, residuals, and
blood in the stool, then measures must be taken, including NPO ("bowel
rest"), TPN, and antibiotics. NEC can be a devastating condition.
Antibiotics increase the risk of candidiasis, or systemic thrush, which
can also be devastating in a very small premature infant. Whether thrush
in his mother's milk increases his risk, I don't know.
All that said, once he's past this NEC scare and they're able to restart
feedings, I would hope this mother would continue to pump her milk for
him. Her thrush, if it's a concern, can be cleared up, and then her milk
will continue to be the best thing for him, as it's better tolerated and
offers protective qualities his immature immune system very much needs.

Anne Stringer, RN