From:
Hotheaded Red <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Apr 1997 16:52:45 -0500
Hi all. I'm not sure how to narrow a search in the archives for what i
need.  I need a reference that explains the dangers of giving breastfed
babies 'extra' water in hot weather.  My nutrition professor is very open
to discussion on this, but she'd like to see a reference saying that it is
not simply 'unecessary' but also that it is harmful. Also, it really has to
deal with the nutritional aspect, or maybe gut integrity, rather than
nipple confusion/preference.  I have a snippet about water intoxication,
and i know sometimes *formula fed* babies need extra water in hot hot
weather, because of the higher solute load, but I needed to share a
reference so she can give a nice concrete explanation to her classes about
why exclusively breastfed babies should *stay* exclusively breastfed.

She was completely in agreement when I pointed out how dangerous it would
be in some of the *hottest* countries that are not blessed with relatively
safe running water, and that obviously breastmilk would provide all the
fluids in perfect electrolyte balance without addition of 'extra' water
regardless of temperature...

Any help finding a reference- even remotely related- would be much
appreciated.

Heidi Murphy
Peer Counselor, BSN Student