From:
Maria Paciullo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 May 2012 00:20:58 -0400
I think it is really important that we all step back from our own experiences in order to help mothers with evidence-based research.  As for your experience, it must have been a very, very difficult time for you and kudos to you for making it through and continuing to breastfeed as much as you could!  As for the taste, I cannot say for sure what was going on with your baby, but perhaps it was the lipase issue?  Or perhaps it was the issue with the type of fats mentioned in N. Mohrbacher's Breastfeeding Answers Made Simple.  It was wonderful that she was able to still have breastmilk while you were home, as babies cannot make fully informed choices about what is good for them (breastmilk with the lipase issue v. formula, for example), and it is so sad that we live in a society where women cannot take longer maternity leaves and still preserve their incomes and careers and where women can rarely nurse their babies at work!    Support mothers, support  breastfeeding, support breastmilk and advocate for a change in the system re women and economics.  Please do not use your difficult experience to applaud formula; instead, use it to examine the larger picture and what caused the baby to need to make a choice in the first place.
Warmly,
Maria Paciullo, JD, LLL