From:
Sheila Angalet <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 12 Mar 1997 11:47:15 -0500
I'd like to share my e-mail to Governor Whitman.  (BTW - I have gotten
permission from LLLI to write officially for my Area as Area Coordinator of
Leaders)

Dear Governor Whitman;

On behalf of breastfeeding mothers and babies in the State of New Jersey, I
urge you to act swiftly, and publically sign the Breastfeeding in Public Bill
(Senate substituted version of S-1212 and A-548) that now sits on your desk.
 A public signing will be a positive statement for all mothers and babies
that New Jersey proudly recognizes the important health benefits of
breastfeeding and supports a woman's right to feed her child wherever she
needs to.  It will also affirm the baby's right to be fed when and where s/he
is hungry.

Just in the last few months, we have had new reports of women being
harrassed, asked to leave establishments and threatened with arrest - just
because they were tending to the needs of their children.  In early January,
we had a case where a mother was thrown out of a popular family restaurant
for discreetly breastfeeding her infant daughter. In the last two weeks,
there was an incident where a mother was discreetly breastfeeding her newborn
in a police station.  This mother was told to stop or face arrest for
indecent exposure.  These are two of the most extreme reports we have in the
last several weeks.

As you can see from these reports, this is a timely measure that needs your
public support. Please make it a priority in the next few days, to plan to
publically sign this bill into law.  We need to let everyone know that New
Jersey supports optimum health for its babies!

Sincerely,
Sheila Angalet
State Coordinator
La Leche League of New Jersey