From:
laurie wheeler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Jul 2003 03:01:18 +0000
This is slightly off topic, however I get irate at how little parents are
told and involved in decisions regarding their infant's care. So what I
would suggest about pain relief related to circs or any other painful
procedure, would be to offer the parents *informed consent.* (This is not a
flame against the poster). The parents should be involved in a discussion
about the procedure (the circ, the bili level being done, the immunization
being given, etc) and about options for pain relief. Included could be the
options that are often used and the evidence for their use. The
breastfeeding mother could choose to have the sucrose pacifier used just
that one time, or the mother could choose to be present or quite nearby to
breastfeed the baby right away for comfort.

Here is a tangential rant: Often there is a new baby that has been started
on antibiotics due to his mother's Group B strep status or premature rupture
of membranes. Often I will go out to see the mom to talk about breastfeeding
getting started (as, unfortunately, it usually doesn't get started in the
delivery area) and about needing a pump in the near future, as the baby will
remain in the hospital for several days after her discharge to finish the
antibiotics (no, they don't *allow* rooming-in with the baby -
aaarrrggghhh). The nurse will tell me "I don't think the mom knows about the
IV yet, or the antibiotics yet."  Doesn't this make you want to scream! How
dare anyone do this without talking to the parents about what is going on?
What about treatment options, etc? Mind  you, this is not an emergency.

I know this is not directly breastfeeding-related, but is it any wonder that
parents just don't feel like active participants and no wonder they just
abdicate the feeding of thier babies to the almighty staff?
Is it any wonder why people like us who want mother-friendly and
baby-friendly facilities burn out????

Laurie Wheeler, IBCLC, MN, RN
New Orleans Louisiana, s.e. USA