"Gary E. Prevatt" <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 14 Dec 1995 12:52:38 EST
Hello- this train of conversation appeared a while back and sparked my interest,
so I did some question asking from a religious forum and this is the reply I
received all the way from Brisbane Ausralia.  Hope it is of interest to some.
Susan

I presume the word in question is cHanak, translated as train,

I have copied the full definition from Brown Driver Briggs Gesenius, which is
probably the best of the Hebrew Lexicons

Verb,  meaning - train up, dedicate
Derivation- cf Arabic <an arabic word > which is apparently from <another arabic
word> meaning *rub palate* of child with chewed dates (Lane!) : of midwife, *rub
palate* of newborn child with oil etc. before it begins to suck (Dozy!!) also
*make experienced, submissive* (as one does a horse by a rope in its mouth
(Lane!).
Also compare cHinek (Late Hebrew) *accustom* and cHanak *dedicate*