Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Mar 2009 12:51:22 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I do thinik that deconstructing Medela's add is a great idea.

More on pumps.  Breast pumps can make or break breastfeeding depending on how they are used or the intent of the introduction to them.

Way back when, I bought my SIL a hand pump as a baby gift.  I thought it was a good idea at the time.  She used the breast pump.  She felt more comfortable pumping and feeding the milk by bottle as she new how much her baby was getting.  In the end the pump very well could have been what led to her stopping breastfeeding.  She and my brother were not well off, and they could have used the money that was spent on formula for other necessities.  I am sure too that my nephew would have benefited more form a good breastfeeding relationship that the bottlefeeding one that he got.

Now that I know more, I always tell moms not to buy a breast pump unless they find they need one and to wait until the baby is here before they make that purchase.

For other mothers, breast pumps can help save a breastfeeding relationship buy helping increase supply or maintain supply when she is having feeding difficulties.  Also, just because a mom uses a pump doesn't mean that the baby doesn't breastfeed, she may use it after feeds to increase supply, she may use it at work and then breastfeed all night and on weekends.

Pumps aren't bad, though companies who advertise heavily can sabotage breastfeeding as in the case of my SIL.  They lead women to believe that to be a good mother, she has to pump and give her baby a bottle.

Cordelia Merritt RN BSN IBCLC

Archives: http://community.lsoft.com/archives/LACTNET.html
To reach list owners: [log in to unmask]
Mail all list management commands to: [log in to unmask]
COMMANDS:
1. To temporarily stop your subscription write in the body of an email: set lactnet nomail
2. To start it again: set lactnet mail
3. To unsubscribe: unsubscribe lactnet
4. To get a comprehensive list of rules and directions: get lactnet welcome

ATOM RSS1 RSS2