From:
P Shifer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 Nov 1995 20:10:44 -0500
Hi, I posted this question on Friday, haven't heard from anyone;I had hoped
to have an answer by tonight so I could share it with the breastfeeding
coordinator at another WIC site.  Mother of a six week old who has
practically doubled her birth weight (from 5"13 to 10+ at 4 weeks) now has
excruciating pain in the opposite breast; it always alternates breasts,
depending on which side the baby is feeding from. Mom has a cyst on her
thyroid (I don't know if this is significant) and a low grade fever of 100;
doesn't seem to have mastitis.  We thought she should apply heat on the
painful breast during the feeding, but only because it "seems" like the right
thing to do.  Could this be painful letdown, yeast in the ducts, what???
TIA for your help!
Pearl Shifer, IBCLC
Breastfeeding Coordinator, WIC program in NYC