From:
Donna Hansen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 1997 16:46:41 -0800
Hi again,
This is the letter I have composed to send to the editor regarding the
Health Matters physician who wrote the fairly useless column stating
breast or bottle to be a matter of individual choice. I've never done
this before so any comments would be great.

Dear Mr Shore,

It was with a sinking heart that I read the title of the November 26
Health Matters column. Surely the thousands of scientific studies that
indicate human milk confers significant health benefits to both mother
and baby would have closed this outdated argument.

While it is true that attitudes about breastfeeding vary widely, the
portrayal of advocates as members of a "religious cult" is ignorant and
demeaning to those who value the importance of breastfeeding. There are
many advantages to extended nursing. The World Health Organization
recommends breastfeeding up to 2 years and beyond. Research by a
respected anthropologist indicates the natural age for weaning to be
between 2.5 and 7 years of age.

The supposed advantages of bottle feeding are difficult to understand.
Sibling rivalry and strained marital relations often occur with the
arrival of a new baby, regardless of feeding method. Jaundice occurs in
more than half of all newborns in the first week of life. This usually
resolves itself within several days to a few weeks when the baby is
feeding frequently and effectively. AAP guidelines "discourage the
interruption of breastfeeding in healthy newborns and encourages
continued and frequent breastfeeding (at least 8 - 10 times every 24
hours)".

There are very few situations where feeding mother's milk carries a
greater risk than the known risks and hazards of artificial baby
milk. Medications that are compatible with breastfeeding can be found
for almost every situation. As for moms on unhealthy diets, milk
production becomes compromised when under nutrition is sufficiently
severe, but it this would occur only in famine or near famine
conditions. Considering the cost of feeding artificial baby milk, the
money would be better spent on improving the mother's diet.

Breastfeeding provides the infant protection against diarrheal illness
and otis media, allergies,and diabetes. It provides maternal protection
for osteoporosis and premenopausal breast cancer.

A very small percentage of women are truly unable to breastfeed. A much
larger percentage choose not to or are unable to due to poor information
and support. Only about 20% of babies are still breastfeeding at 6
months. Somewhat ironically, it is physicians with a philosophy like
that of as Dr Nesbitt who help contribute to this low figure. Many
physicians are ill prepared to counsel breastfeeding mothers. Many opt
not to inform mothers of the potential risks of feeding artificial baby
milks so "they don't feel guilty."

If I had tried everything in my power to breastfeed and had not been
able, I would have felt sad, cheated, disappointed and probably very
determined to try again but I would not have felt guilty. If I had ended
up bottle feeding after being told by my doctor that it was strictly a
matter of choice, and then discovered the potential risks to my child's
health, I would have been supremely angry. If I knew I could have better
informed myself and just decided not to, then I may have felt guilty,
and so I should.

Dr Nesbitt seems to be the one who has "boobed"  with this column.

Donna Hansen, breastfeeding advocate, mother of 2 healthy breastfed
children
Burnaby, BC

ps check out these websites for accurate breastfeeding information
http://www.parentsplace.com/genobject.cgi/readroom/bf.html
http://www.geocities.com/HotSprings/Spa/3156/