Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
priscilla tansley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Nov 2003 22:41:38 -0500
Marjorie,

My only experience on overcoming a bottle strike was with my second child,
Elena, who refused twice, both times for the ten or so hours that I was at
work, much to the dismay of my dh.  I think that the first time, when I
couldn't get her to accept the bottle from me the next day (she was 3
months), I resorted to trying a nursing strike trick that I had learned at a
conference, but had never needed to use for breastfeeding myself.  I put her
in her baby bath and offered her a bottle and she took it without hesitation
for another month, when she decided it was time to make her daddy pull his
hair out again.  This time we took the advice from a book (can't recall the
name, but it was a gift from my esteemed colleague, Dawn Kersula).  The book
suggested holding the baby so she faced away from the person giving the
bottle.  So my husband held her with her back to his chest, facing the same
direction he faced.  I'm not exactly sure I remember how he held his arm
around her, but it was secure.  Anyway, she took the bottle readily in this
position and I believe that he continued to use it as the way he held her
for feedings...so much for gazing lovingly into the eyes of the one who
provides the nourishment.  One other thing we used to do for my daughter to
accept a bottle more readily, was to cradle her and rock rhythmically back
and forth.  She never gave me any problems nursing...what a smart girl!

Hope something helps!
Priscilla Tansley RN, IBCLC