Date:
Sat, 12 Mar 2005 14:47:26 +0000
>Hi all
>
>I need a reference for a study that drives home the point that the
>benefits of breastfeeding are not just for the countries/people who
>can't afford to buy formula or don't have access to clean water, etc.
>
>I vaguely recall there being something like this that came out a few
>years ago, but can't remember who did the study. There might be more
>than one, or one more recent.
>
>Anybody with a better memory than mine??? ;-D (that might not take much......)
>
>Thanks!

Melissa: one set of studies that shows you what you are looking for
is the Dundee programme, which you and many others on this list may
be familiar with. Dundee is a city in Scotland, who recruited several
hundred mothers and babies to a long-term project designed to look at
the effects of infant feeding. They are continuing to track this
cohort, and they have published three papers so far, all in the BMJ,
I think.  You could search on the BMJ website for Dundee and
breastfeeding, and bring them all up.   Babies who were breastfed
show many positive outcomes compared to their formula fed
counterparts. Key names in the study team are Howie and Forsyth.

The other study which looks at this is an even bigger programme which
is designed to look at many different health aspects. This is the
ALSPAC programme, done in the county of Avon in the South West of
England. A PubMed search would bring up some of the many papers that
have come out so far.

Another good study is one from the US : Scariati PD et al.  A
longitudinal Analysis of Infant Morbidity and the Extent of
Breastfeeding in the United States.Pediatrics 99(6). I like this one
as it controls well for economic and social variables.

There is also this one, from Belarus:

Kramer M et al. Promotion of Breastfeeding Intervention Trial
(PROBIT): A Randomised Trial in the Republic of Belarus. JAMA 2001;
285:413-420.

There may be a good recent overview which takes in all these studies,
but I am not aware of it.

Heather Welford Neil
NCT bfc, tutor, UK