From:
Gary and Vickie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 12:44:40 -0400
Peds all over are saying, "Sure the AAP has said that, for optimal health,
a baby should be breastfed for at least a year, but..."

*****Then there are the ones who refuse to think that more than a year is of
any use.  the community that we live in has a few pediatricians and there are
only 2 that anyone who does not want to get a bunch of flak about breastfeeding
should go to.  One of these supports breastfeeding until age one (surprisingly
this is my pediatrician, who said nothing to ME about nursing my 2.5 year
old...) but after that, he discourages it, stating that there are no more
benefits after that.  <sigh>  Apparently he thinks that WHO is speaking only to
third world countries.

But they are not getting the encouragement from their babies' doctors and
sometimes are being sabotaged intentionally.
*****Frustrating isn't it?  What about the one about jaundice, calling it
''breastmilk jaundice'' and telling moms to formula feed for a 'day or two'' to
get rid of it.  that one never fails to drive me up the wall!

And when is someone going to write an article in a "respected" journal
about intraductal and nipple yeast?  A client was told yesterday by her OB
that such a condition would be very rare. (OOOOhhhhhh, how I wish!) And, of
course, he wouldn't treat her.
*****I had to take in a bunch of references and books to
get the proper dosage of Difflucan myself!  I have another mom who took her
baby in to the pediatrician and c/o yeast sx in herself, the doc looked in the
baby's mouth and said that the baby does not have yeast, then told the mom that
he would go ahead and treat baby, and that would cure her!  I am trying to get
her to get treatment, but she is believing the doctor.  I am just waiting for
her to tell me that she now has this horrible problem and is going to wean...

I guess it will have to be from the
parents' demanding that their doctors become educated.
*****Well, when I went in to see my OB to get the proper dosages of Diflucan,
she made the comment that "patients like (me) make doctors mind their P's and
Q's".  Apparently they told her that I was coming in to ask for an insane
dosage of a specific medication and she decided to get prepared by doing a bit
of reading of her own.  By the time I got there, she was ready to give me
exactly what I had asked for...  Of course it might have been my daughter
blowing out her diaper, my son dumping out an entire flower pot onto the floor
and my overactive MER hosing down the office with breastmilk... ;)
Vickie