From:
Berghuijs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Apr 1998 22:47:45 +0200
to Jeanne Fisher Mitchel?

A paper was recently published in Caries Research 1998;32:46-50.
The aim of the study, was to study the characteristics and to explore the
risk factors within a group of Dutch children breastfed on demand over a
long period.
Ninety six children were examined, whose mothers all attended LLL meetings.
On average the children were breastfed for 21.5 month.
 The conclusion of the study was, that frequent breastfeeding does not lead
to higher prevelance of caries although comparison between groups
demonstrated that breastfeeding and low additional fluoride use should be
considered as contributing factors ain the proces of nursing caries.

I'd like to make copies for whom is interested

I also remember a case study with three breastfeeding mothers and their
children, all of them breasfeeding for a long time. This study came to the
conclusion that breastfeeding especially during the night was a contributing
risk factor. However, the writers stated that in all three the mothers an
overgrowth of spreptococcus mutans was found, could that be the reason for
the caries in the children? On mamy occasions I suggested mothers with
children with caries to ask their dentist to investigate such a possible
overgrowth. None of them was interested. Perhaps, when mothes do have such
an overgrowth, treating the stertococ could help solve the problem in their
children. And if so, the streptococcus is the reason for the caries, not the
prolonged breastfeeding, even at night.

I breastfed two of my children for many years, complete with many years of
night feedings, only started brushing when they were going to school. There
simply was nothing to brush before taht time. My dentist gave me a
compliment on the way I brushed my children, when I told him he was very
surprised. They are 13 and 16 now, still no caries whatsoever. There must be
another reason for the caries I think

Siemian Berghuijs, IBCLC
The Netherlands