From:
Berghuijs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 01:15:39 +0200
Mary Grace Lanese,

I have just send out a mail about engorgement, it will probably answer your
question. It is normal when a mother who is able to interpret the reactions
of her baby, puts het baby to the breast 10 times and more the first day or
two. The frequency will get less since the baby will get more colostrum/milk
and will be more and more satisfied, because the milk is coming in quick.
The baby does not necisarily ask for a feed the first day, he is willing to
suck(le) though and gets some colostrum as a reward. Because the milk comes
in so quick with frequent feedings the first day's, the baby will be
satisfied and will have foud his own rithm in a few day's. I always tell
mothers and counselors, the baby will find his first rithm after
'engorgement', so day four or five. But in my few, engorgement is full
breasts, not breasts like rocks, who need treatment.

Siemian Berghuijs, IBCLC
The Netherlands