From:
Kathy Eng <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:01:30 -0500
Dear Susan,

My advice to you would be to continue seeing the moms of Dr. Trendy unless
your feelings are so strong that they overcome your ability to be
professional. In that case, or if you are just too frustrated, then pass
them to someone else.

Where I live the doctors rarely refer moms to get breastfeeding help (either
an IBCLC or calling LLL, etc.). I have tried to do private practice for 2.5
years now and just recently gave it up. Simply because without support from
the medical community or from the mothers themselves, it is not a profitable
and happy enterprise. I did have two out of maybe 40 area pediatricians who
would routinely refer moms to me, but rarely would their patients book
appointments ("breastfeeding is too difficult"). I send a physician report
every time but it did no good in getting referrals. On follow-up every one
of my clients said my services were extremely helpful and they were happy to
have used me, so I know it isn't my personality!

Best wishes, Kathy Eng, BSW, IBCLC