Molly McMillion <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 26 Aug 2014 14:22:58 -0400
Hello I am posting (with permission from a mom dealing with recurrent
plugged ducts.
"My Midwife suggested that I get in touch with you regarding a lump in one
of my milk ducts that won't seem to go away. I have a 10 1/2 month old who
nurses 4-5 times a day and have had some problems with recurring clogged
ducts. I had mastitis in June (terrible) and the same duct that was
infected now seems to have a hard lump that has stayed the same for 2
weeks. I also have had a different clogged duct in the same breast as the
lump twice this week but have been able to resolve them with multiple
methods (warm soaks, massage). I'm wondering if this is a static clog or
something different (cyst?). Not sure who to ask so I'm wondering if you
could consult. "

​Since our original contact I had her start on lethicin and she has seen
improvement  of the 'smaller' plugs but the "large hard lump" continues the
same​.  I had her nurse in a 'laid back position' which has helped some and
looked at if this could be some forceful letdown also (baby pulls of breast
frequently, won't stay on for long) Wondering how long we should give the
lethicin to work on this, and what would we do next??

--
Molly Scarborough McMillion RN, BSN, IBCLC, CCE, CPST
Lactation Consultant, Childbirth Educator