From:
Mary Belle Coutts <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:47:06 -0400
Mom called me seriously considering weaning because her nearly 7 month old
has eczema which she has been dealing with since baby was 2 mo. and now
seems to be worsening. Mom said she has eliminated all dairy since baby was
3 mo. Thanks to the lactnet archives and the info I've received from them, I
will call and make sure she is eliminating ALL dairy.  What will she look
for as far as labeling?  I've never worked with a Mom who has needed to be
this strict before.  Whey solids....what else?  I'd like to give her a list
of what to look for on labels for processed foods, etc.  Also, after
checking the archives, I will mention beef and eggs, her laundry detergent
as well as clothing fabrics. Chocolate and wheat was also mentioned.  What
do any of you recommend this mom do first? One thing I must mention is that
baby has been receiving a bottle of soy formula which mom thinks she started
around the same time baby started with the eczema....  I did ask her if she
felt the soy abm could be the culprit, and that I would suggest she
eliminate it first and see how baby is.  She said she's worried she would
not have enough breastmilk for her in the middle of the night without giving
the bottle of soy abm as she has been for almost 4 mo. I talked to her about
ways of increasing her milk, and just taking baby to bed and letting her
nurse all night, but mom said she didn't really think the soy abm is the
problem and would rather try further elimination and perhaps putting baby on
all soy formula because she feels so bad for the baby and that baby's doctor
is pretty sure it's mom's diet.  Thanking you in advance. Warmllly, Mary
Coutts, LLLL