Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 07:46:40 +0000
An increased rate of cancer in the family is *not* a reason to formula
feed. On the contrary, it is a reason to breastfeed.

Maybe she does feel dirty about breastfeeding, but sometimes things
change when women start breastfeeding.  I would not have told her it
might be better to bottle feed because of this.  I would have said,
try a few weeks, you might change how you feel.  In a doctor patient
relationship I would have asked her how she felt about sex.  If she
"learned to like that", why couldn't she learn to like breastfeeding?
Maybe she was having sexual relations out of "duty" only.  In that
case she should still try breastfeeding, and if it doesn't go, there
is rarely a problem quitting, is there?

Having said that, when women come up with all these objections, they
are often testing you, to see how committed you are.  If there is one
objection after another, after one is discussed and dealt with, I
finally say the decision is up to them.  I don't say, however, it
would be better to bottle feed, because I don't believe that even for
the woman you discuss.

Jack Newman, MD, FRCPC