From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Oct 2001 17:55:57 -0700
Hi Linda- there is at least one article on the La
Leche league site about a mother (LLLL) who breastfed
her child with duarte' and merely introduced solids
earlier than she might otherwise have.  here is one
http://www.lalecheleague.org/NB/NBJulAug97p123.html
and I think there are some in the leader files but I
haven't done that yet.

I was told by at least one geneticist that "we ignore
duarte" when it comes to researchers in galactosemia.
  Therefore, I don't know how much information a
medline search will really give you.

I suppose if I needed to look into this, I would
contact the galactosemia discussion boards at
http://www.galactosemia.dynip.com/galactosemia/default.asp
 and http://www.galactosemia.com/ (although the latter
is more reactionary).  I would look for people with
the duarte' diagnosis and ask them off of the bb for
their practitioner names and contact them- if they are
breastfeeding.  IME, a lot of parents of children with
classical galactosemia believe that breastmilk is
poison and seem to be very angry about any breastmilk
their child may have had.  They love their soy formula
there.   I know there is at least one forum that is
very helpful and open to inquiries outside the
"politically correct" so I hope it's the first one I
mentioned.

I would also see if I could find out how much
redundancy there is normally wrt GALT production.  I
assume there is a range of normal and many of us "over
produce".

I would very much like to hear what you find out.  I
would love to hear parents make a truly informed
decision on breastfeeding based on their real
diagnosis, not a presumed classical diagnosis.

=====
Kate Hallberg,http://www.cs.colorado.edu/~kolina/  mom to Ursula (6.5), Sage (4.5) and Benno (9 mos)         Attachment parenting is a new name for an extremely old set of behaviors, though to many people it appears to be a radical new approach advocated by Dr. Sears. Research in diverse fields provides evidence that the collectivegeneral approaches that we call "attachment parenting" today are just a collection of good survival techniques biologically speaking--and have been so for countless generations.  -Cynthia Good Mojab