From:
Kate Hallberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Sep 2001 10:26:49 -0700
I'm just back from nomail so forgive me if I missed
the start of this current discussion on galactosemia.
When we talk about galactosemia we need to keep in
mind that there are two different types- Classical and
Duarte'.  Classical precludes breastfeeding as there
is no enzyme activity.  Duarte' can have very limited
or a very high level of enzyme activity.  Parens and
physicians facing the "galactosemia" diagnosis need to
know which variant their child has and what, if any,
levels of enzyme activity they have.  Mothers facing
the duarte' diagnosis can breastfeed at least
partially.

kate