Reply To:
Lactation Information and Discussion <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2001 15:11:06 -0700
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (22 lines)
First, thanks to all that emailed me info on this therapy.  This post may seem long and sorted, so I apologize.... but it IS on topic even though a few people emailed me saying that my requests for information were off topic.

Mom was GBS+, had an induced labor, no pain meds, baby got stuck at the end and they cut her from stem to stern to use suction.  After the birth mom wasn't allowed to hold him or nurse him.  He coded about 30 min pp.  and subsequently ended up with a tube in his belly.  This was Monday.  He ended up with ABX and mom was told he couldn't nurse because of tube in gut, etc.  We worked to get the mom a pump, more like fought to get her a pump.  Since I have no hospital affiliation I also have no pull here, usually I don't see moms until they have been sent home and need me, occasionally I will get a case like this from a friend or a previous client.  So this poor baby has had all kinds of trauma, I feared he wouldn't latch on.  Well last night he did!  Then this morning he would latch on, suck for a second or two and then pull off and scream.  Mom has colostrum (as she has been pumping it and giving it to the NICU nurses who are doing God know what with it, as they aren't feeding it to him).  This morning one of the NICU nurses noticed she was having trouble getting him to nurse and offered her a substance to put on her nipples.... IT WAS CHERRY FLAVORING!!!  The NICU nurse said that they had been putting it on the pacifier to get him to take it.  Well of course mom was livid, I am livid as I type.   Mom told NICU no more pacifier, and they protested saying that he kept crying, my response "Then get the mom in there!!!"

So here's my next question for all the hospital based LC's on the list..... is it standard practice to flavor the nipples???  This poor mom will be lucky if she gets this baby eating right, they are supposed to go home tomorrow and I have a feeling I will be spending a lot of time with her.  My heart is sick for this poor babe.

Melisa
~*~*~*~*~
Counselor to women in the areas of breastfeeding, 
midwifery, and other health matters.
www.nurturingmama.com

Mom to Harry who changed my life,
Jacob who changed my spirit, and
Elleanor who changed my soul.

The LACTNET mailing list is powered by L-Soft's renowned
LISTSERV(R) list management software together with L-Soft's LSMTP(TM)
mailer for lightning fast mail delivery. For more information, go to:
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html

ATOM RSS1 RSS2